Empowering thirsty learners
I’ve been a librarian, an instructor, and a web designer. In instructional design, I finally discovered what I want to be when I grow up.
- My passion is empowering thirsty learners to realize their dreams through beautifully designed, logically organized and pedagogically sound educational experiences.
- Highly proficient with instructional technology and design, including project management experience, construction of rubrics and assessment tools, storyboards, and curriculum modules.
- Excellent communication skills, from preparation of written materials and PowerPoint presentations with clarity and accuracy, to production of concise and meaningful instructional videos, to enthusiastic public speaking, to eliciting information from subject matter experts.
- Adaptable and open to new experiences, an enthusiastic change agent willing to analyze and continuously improve processes for better learning experiences.
- Empathetic with the needs of adult learners, having completed degrees while working full-time.
Master of Science in Education in Instructional Design & Technology (Dec. 2019), Samford University
- Emphasis in online learning
- Capstone Project: “Learners Perceptions of Microlearning through the Lens of Gagne’s Nine Events”
Master's certificate in Web Design and Development, University of Denver
Master of Library Service, University of Alabama
- Emphasis in academic librarianship
B.A., Art, University of Alabama in Huntsville
- Major: Art (printmaking); Minor: English (linguistics)
- Graduated with high honors
Skills & Abilities
- Proficient with Adobe Captivate, TechSmith Camtasia, Adobe Creative Suite (especially Photoshop), Articulate Storyline and Rise 360. Please see my portfolio for samples: dkfitchportfolio.com. Experience with Canvas and Moodle LMS (including installing and setting up Moodle on personal website).
- Experience with HTML5, CSS3, WordPress, CMS platforms including Revize, Ektron (now Episerver) and Cascade Server.
Course Creation & Teaching
- Designed, developed and taught: WordPress introductory and advanced courses for adult learners (Samford After Sundown, 2012-2013); JMC 352, Web Page Communication (adjunct professor, Samford University Dept. of Journalism & Mass Communication, 2001-2004); Information Sources & Services (instructor, Graduate School of Library and Information Studies, University of Alabama, Gadsden and Birmingham extension campuses, 1996-2000); library instruction curriculum for college students (Information Instruction Librarian, Samford University, 1996-2000).
- Author of multiple peer-reviewed research articles including: “Job Satisfaction Among Support Staff in Alabama Academic Libraries,” College & Research Libraries 51 (July 1990): 313-320; “Turning the Library Upside Down: Reorganization Using Total Quality Management Principles,” co-written with Jean Thomason and Elizabeth Crabtree Wells, Journal of Academic Librarianship vol. 19, no 5 (November 1993): 294-299; “Continuous Assessment of the Academic Library: A Model and Case Study.” in Delmus E. Williams and Edward Garten, eds. Advances in Library Administration and Organization, vol. 13, 1995.
- Editor, The Thematic Catalogue of the Musical Works of Johann Pachelbel, Jean M. Perreault, author. Scarecrow Press, 2004.
- Author of two independently published novels and a short story collection.
Digital Communication Specialist | Samford University, Marketing & Communication Division | 2011 – present
- Maintain integrity of website through highly-detailed quality control processes. Edit webpages in content management system (CMS). Reduced site errors from over 4,000 to about 5 per week on a university site of 20,000+ pages. Use of SEMRush to optimize pages for search engines and Broken Link Checker to find broken links.
Director of Web Services | Samford University, Marketing & Communication Division | 2000 – 2011
- Responsible for design and maintenance of Samford website. Designed pages as requested. Project manager for migration to new CMS. Supervised two developers and one content writer.
- Original title 2000-2006, Web Designer & Editor: As first campus-wide web designer, instituted web processes and procedures. Designed and maintained 80% of all campus sites in HTML. Taught group and individual sessions to faculty and staff content management editors. Instituted first campus-wide CMS.
Information Instruction Librarian | Samford University Library | 1996 – 2000
- Planned and designed library instruction curriculum. Taught library instruction classes, primarily freshman composition, history, sociology, business. Planned, designed and taught introductory, advanced and subject-specific classes for faculty and staff on Web use.
Reference & Instruction Coordinator | Samford University Library | 1991 – 1996
- Facilitated Reference Unit activities. Pioneered information literacy program on campus. Planned and designed library instruction curriculum and taught library instruction classes. Supervised 2-3 librarians and interlibrary loan service. Served student population on reference desk. Co-created Resource Retrieval Program to deliver library materials to faculty and staff.